PacMin (Backpack Ministry) provides assistance to K-12 students within the Burleson Independent School District who experience food insecurity at home. For these children, school meals sustain them during the week until they return home for the weekend. Each food bag provided by PacMin contains non-perishable items that help feed these students during their time away from school.
Helpful community resources as well as information about upcoming PacMin events are posted regularly on the PacMin Facebook page. For more information, email or call the church office at (817) 295-1166.
HOW IT WORKS
Children qualify for PacMin by meeting two or more of the following criteria:
- They are part of the free/reduced price meal program at their school
- They and/or their family is homeless or living with others within the school district
- Their teacher or counselor recommends them based on needs discovered during conversation (urgent financial issues, job loss, critical medical needs)
Each qualifying child’s family is consulted about the program and the parents/guardians are given the decision to become a part of it. Local school counselors communicate the number of backpacks needed to PacMin, and each week, PacMin volunteers assemble and deliver food bags to the school for distribution by the counselors.
WHAT WE GIVE
Each food bag contains:
- 1 meat
- 1 soup
- 2 fruits
- 3 pastas
- 4 snacks
- 2 breakfasts
WAYS TO HELP
Time - Volunteers help by managing food inventory, packing bags, and also delivering food bags to the schools. To sign up to help pack bags, click the button at the bottom of this page.
Food Donation - Nonperishable, individually-sized, easy-open items are always needed. Please bring items to the church office Monday-Thursday during business hours.
Financial Support - Donations by cash or check (payable to FUMC Burleson - Backpack Ministry) help ensure that a ready supply of food and materials is always available. It costs about $6 per child per week to sustain the PacMin program.
Spreading the Word - We accept and welcome help from both inside the church as well as from the surrounding community. If you know of a person or an organization that may be able to assist with financial or food donations, please email or call the church office at (817) 295-1166.
We are so grateful for the help we receive from our donors and volunteers. Hungry children in the Burleson Independent School District will be blessed by your donation and will have you to thank.
THE PACMIN SHOPPING LIST
Items we use on a weekly basis:
- Canned Meat items: Vienna Sausage, Tuna / Chicken, Beef Ravioli, Spaghetti-o’s with Meatballs, Beefaroni
- Canned Soups
- Packaged Fruit items: Fruit cups, Applesauce
- Pasta items: Ramen Noodles, Mac-n-cheese
- Snack items: Granola bars, Crackers/Cookies/Cheese Crackers, Crisp rice treats, Animal crackers, Raisins, Fruit snacks, Pudding
- Breakfast items: Dry Cereal, Instant Oatmeal, Pop Tarts, Muffin or Fruit Bar, Cereal Bars